Thursday, January 17, 2008

Managing my Online Presence

I am all over the internet.

I've got a facebook for myself, a facebook for The Economists, a myspace for the same, this blog for writing, my vox blog for the Chicago Mixtape Project, my last.fm page... it's more than I can handle at this point. I didn't even mention the fact that I am registered at flixster, linked in, xanga, photobucket, and more. I kind of want to reign it all into one place, but no such place exists.

So for now, this blog will be importing into my facebook feed and the vox blog will continue updates, just not via the facebook, unless I specifically want to mention one of its posts. I'd like to combine blogger's ease of text-based use and pretty, personally designed template with vox's ability to host streaming audio and facebook's handy, offline-interaction-modeled social network, but as of now that option does not exist.

All of that is a complicated way of saying that I have reorganized the way my interaction with the internet is made manifest, most noticeably through facebook, and created a more cohesive platform for writing (one that holds together my posts and my ideas a little better than the facebook notes feature and allows for more writing, something I have been neglecting during law school). I'm essentially trying to channel as much of my internet information through facebook, my preferred social network.

Here's a good question that you either are asking or should be asking: what the hell am I talking about? Why does this matter?

Well, for starters, do other people think about this? Do people think about how their online persona is constructed? Or even worse, do people perceive their multiple ports for internet interaction as organs in the internet self, as I do? Do people try to reorganize these organs to better serve how they want their internet self to be perceived?

Ok think of it this way: I decide that my ability to juggle is more interesting or important to me than, say, my ability to dance (I, in actuality, do not at all posses the former and rarely showcase the latter). So, I redesign my body in a way that my legs fade into the background as my arms take center stage and become the more important aspect of my being. I, as you may be well aware, have no ability to prioritize how I present my physical body. I do, however, have the ability to prioritize my online body. Which is what I am trying to do with this recent switch-up.

Anyone wanna share some thoughts on this internet body that we all possess, whether we think about it in those terms (as I do) or not?

1 comment:

  1. it is tough managing all the accounts we all sign up for. I find that I sign up for plenty of stuff, but actually use very little of it. I stop using/checking the services that I don't use and let them go to waste. So even though I have accounts with all thsoe companies you mentioned, they are all inactive. I use blogger, facebook a bit, google reader, and a couple others...

    ReplyDelete